Price is one of the key factors in the decision to renovate a bathroom. Several things must be considered when you’re looking to install a shower tray in order to get an idea for the final cost.
In this article, we’ll explain what these things are. It all depends on whether you wish to replace a bathtub, an old shower tray or a floor-level shower.
Factors to be considered when determining the cost of installing a resin shower tray
If you want to calculate the cost of installing a resin shower tray, there are several factors that need to be considered:
- Cost of the construction work: The cost is based on what is being replaced. Replacing a shower tray with another one is not the same as replacing a bathtub with a shower tray. This will determine the price of the materials and labour and, therefore, the final price.
- The need for a shower screen: If you’re replacing one tray with another, you might already have a shower screen which is one less cost to be added.
Taking these factors into account, let’s look closely at each one of the three situations.
How much does it cost to replace one shower tray with another?
Replacing one shower tray with another is the easiest type of job and, therefore, the most affordable. Besides the price of the construction work, other variables that may have an impact on the cost are:
- The need for a shower screen: Is one already installed? No extra cost. You don’t already have one? Add the purchase and installation price to the estimate.
- The size of the new tray: There are three possibilities which will alter the cost of the construction work and materials:
- The same size as the old one: If the new tray is the same size, it will fit in the same gap as the old one. The job is easier with no need for extra materials.
- Larger than the old one: If the new tray is larger, the gap where the old one was must be made bigger. The makes the job more complicated and a bit more expensive yet there’s no need for extra materials.
- Smaller than the old one: If the new tray is smaller, the gap where the old one was must be made smaller. To do so, you will have to buy tiles for the floor which adds an extra cost for materials.
How much does it cost to replace a bathtub with a resin shower tray?
Replacing a bathtub with a shower tray is more complicated work and involves a higher price. In addition, the variables that may have an impact on the cost are:
- The need for a shower screen: Purchasing and installing a shower screen is necessary in most cases where a bathtub is being replaced. Since shower trays are normally smaller than bathtubs, you normally have to buy a new shower screen even if one was already installed.
- The size of the shower tray: You normally try to purchase a shorter shower tray to gain space in your bathroom. This means you’ll need to cover the gap left in the floor with tiling, which leads to an added cost. You won’t need tiles, however, if you choose the same length as the bathtub.
- Wall cladding: The greater the surface to be cladded, the higher the cost. The height of the cladding has the biggest impact: if you wish to clad to the height of the bathtub or cover more wall space.
As far as shower screens, the prices vary immensely. You can find them starting at 100 euros in the simplest of models made with the cheapest materials (acrylic, rather thin, single bearings…). The most complex models made of quality and/or designer materials can be approximately 700-1000 euros (tempered glass, aluminium profiling, thickness > 6 mm, double bearings…).
How much does it cost to replace a floor-level shower with a resin shower tray?
Floor-level showers are installed on the same floor as the entire bathroom, including the shower. The only thing that separates the space is the shower screen.
The only factor that can change the price of this type of job is the amount of flooring you wish to replace: There are two possibilities:
- Changing the entire bathroom floor: The most expensive choice due to the complex nature of the work and cost of the materials.
- Changing only the shower area of the floor: The most affordable option.
An estimated budget for the installation of a shower tray based on different variables
In short, an estimated budget for installing a shower tray, considering the different variables and including all costs, would look like this:
- The price of the construction work, depending on the variables: 300 to 900 euros.
- The price of the shower screen, if needed. 100 to 1,000 euros.
Installing a shower tray does come with a cost. That’s why we recommend choosing a high-quality shower tray to avoid having to do it all over again and more costs in the near future.
We recommend installing a resin shower tray. It’s the safest choice, more resistant and longer lasting. Plus, Crocket resin shower trays come with a Gel Coat layer for protection against bacteria, chemicals and water wear.
At Crocket, we’re the only bathroom company offering a 5-year warranty on shower trays which is a considerable safety cushion when choosing one. What’s more, we offer you free returns if you change your mind before installing it.